“Let’s Talk!” 2018 is a global event led by supermodel and philanthropist Natalia Vodianova and UNFPA, the UN’s sexual and reproductive health agency, convening thought leaders, change makers and policy shapers to create sustainable solutions to tackle the taboos surrounding women’s health around the world. The event will feature Davos style panel discussions followed by an awards ceremony spotlighting the work of male/female change makers across the world in this sector.
Amongst those participating at the Let’s Talk event include a number of leading campaigners and advocates for women’s health, who will form part of a panel looking to focus on mental health within the young female demographic and attitudes towards women’s health, sexual education and body positivity. It will delve into the mindset of millennials and their perspectives of themselves and how they can be change makers.
As part of her endless commitment to tackling the worldwide taboos of women’s and mental health, panel host activist and model Adwoa Aboah will be joined by Anmar Khalid of Y-PEER, Jeta Berisha of Artpolis, Professor of Psychological Medicine Reproductive Psychiatry at University of Manchester Professor Kathryn Abel and Auden Edwardes, who will share her experiences with mental health.
Worldwide, 10-20% of children and adolescents experience mental disorders, with half of all mental illnesses beginning before the age of 14. Currently, there is a damaging stigma attached to mental health, particularly within young females which often sees problems go untreated and millennials are forced to suffer in silence.
All the panellists will be engaged in how this stigma impacts the lives of women and young people especially through stereotyping. They will address how the pressures of sex and other factors are portrayed and the ultimate pressure it puts on people, in particular women. Throughout the discussion, the panellists will be drawing on their own experiences and how it has impacted them throughout their lives as well as what can be done to help put an end to such taboos.
- Anmar Khalid, International Coordinator in Charge of Y-PEER
- Jeta Be risha, Project Coordinator Artpolis
- Professor Kathryn Abel, Professor of Psychological Medicine Reproductive Psychiatry, Director Founder of the Centre for Women’s Mental Health at the University of Manchester
- Auden Edwardes - An expert by experience, she will be sharing her own experiences of mental health and its impact on her health.
How the stigma around women’s health affects young people.
- The impact of stereotypes.
- The importance of having discussions about sex openly, how young people can learn about their own bodies.
- Millennials and their perspectives on themselves and how they can be change-makers.
- Addressing mental health issues amongst young females, and the current pressures they face.
“Let’s Talk!” 2018 is powered by Natalia Vodianova’s charitable giving platform ELBI, and will be held in partnership with UNFPA, the UN’s sexual and reproductive health agency. The event will take place with the support of partners including Turkish Airlines, Maxx Royal Resorts Association of Turkish Travel Agencies.